The Pfister Hotel is a Milwaukee icon, a pinnacle of luxury and hospitality, both locally and with our guests throughout the world. The hotel is a cornerstone of our corporation and as an information technology team we strive to provide the hotel with the same caliber of service they provide their guests. Last month we assisted the property in a rollout of a new mobile application, called CheckMate, that allows their guests to check-in on a mobile device and book room or amenity upgrades.
The Best for Our Best
We decided on a soft rollout of the application by providing access to the program to our loyalty and frequent guests initially, with the option to rollout the program to all of our guests once we were comfortable from an operations standpoint to handle the demand that would come with the entirety of our guests accessing the upgrades and check-in functionality. Another key component of this was incorporating our inventory reporting with the application so we could ensure that upgrades would only be booked that were available and so we could control upgrade rates based on the availability on any given night.
The application is allowing us to better serve our guests like never before. For example, if Mr. Smith is booked to stay at The Pfister Hotel this weekend with a check-in on Friday the following could occur:
- Mr. Smith receives an email asking him if he would like to check-in on his mobile device one day ahead of time
- Mr. Smith is thrilled because he will be in a hurry when he arrives and cannot afford to waste any time during check-in
- Mr. Smith accesses the application for his check-in process and is offered an option to upgrade his room
- Mr. Smith purchases an upgraded room and selects that he would like to add a club access amenity
- Mr. Smith enters a note that he prefers hypoallergenic sheets in his room
- Mr. Smith enters his estimated arrival time in the application
- Mr. Smith receives a notification upon landing in Milwaukee that his room is ready and waiting for him
- Desk agent greets Mr. Smith by name and offers him his room key upon his arrival
- Mr. Smith arrives in his upgraded room, enjoys hors d’ oeuvres in the Pfister Club and slumbers soundly in his allergen-free sheets
- Having low lunch reservations the next day, a notification is pushed to his device, urging Mr. Smith to enjoy lunch on property, with a possible promotion
- Mr. Smith dines at the Mason Street Grill and enjoys it immensely, vowing to return
- After enjoying a delightful stay in Milwaukee, Mr. Smith receives a special survey regarding his experience checking in on the mobile application
So … That is How it Works, But Does it Work?
During our limited soft launch that included only loyalty and frequent guests we saw a roughly 20% online check-in rate. (We expect that this rate should increase when the service is offered to all of our guests.) 24% of guests who checked-in using the application chose to upgrade their room when offered, therefore generating an increase in revenue. Guest feedback to the process has been 100% positive.
Percentages are in respect to the first week and half of use offered to loyalty and frequent guests at The Pfister Hotel. Learn more about CheckMate.